3/11/2007

Upper Darby High School - The Gloves Come Off

Well it seems that the gloves have come off concerning my family and the Upper Darby School District. In a nutshell, my Son was attacked in the hallway (With lots of those new digital surveillance cameras in place) on October 19th, 2006 by a kid named "Chuck" S. The attack was unprovoked and occurred at around 7:15 AM. My Son had his hands in his pocket and his backpack on his back with a heavy coat. The thug, "Chuckie Boy", cold cocked my son and continued to pummel him. He regained his sense of awareness, and did what any normal young man would do. He defended himself. The so called "fight" was soon broken up and both my Son and "Chuckie Boy" were suspended.

 This was far from over though. Two days later, on Saturday, my Son, my Wife, and his fellow "Metal band" members were in Philly at a gig they were playing when all their cell phones were going off around the same time. Seems that "Chuckie Boy" and about 15 to 20 of his "Homies" were in Clifton Heights, looking to "finish" my Son off. Rumors were that these punks were out to "Cap them", as in to shoot them. Enough is enough I said, actually trying to let the "punks" know that I would do anything including go to jail to thwart their plan.

 As a direct result of my son, who ain't a coward and could easily take on Chuckie Boy in a heartbeat one on one telling me and my wife that he was scared to death to return to the High School as he was a marked man by these "Scumbags", we decided to remove him and Home School him, painful as it was (We bother graduated from UDHS). Well now I thought this was over, my son doing quite well at Penn Foster, and working part time. On 2/21/2007, a certain Heather M. King, Assistant Principal of Upper Darby high School filed two "Private Criminal Complaints” against my Son, based on what I guess was the so called "Fight" that occurred in October. Especially read pg. 6, about their deal with us and "Time For Teens", "Either do as we say or pay a heavy fine?" My Son can either : "A". Plead "Not Guilty" "B". plead "Guilty" or "C", attend two "Time For Teens" sessions, at a cost of $100.00 dollars, while admitting no guilt and for "first time offenders". So tell me, does this sound like Extortion or what? Who funds this program?

Are they a part of Upper Darby School District? A woman (Ms. King) files a "PRIVATE" criminal complaint yet it's in the behalf of her employer, the Upper Darby School District, basically threatening me (As the bread winner) in the family to shell out about a $$$ grand if we don't take "Their Deal" = TOTAL BS! My Son was attacked and retaliated (As would any NORMAL Person) in that instance. I taught my Son to do just that, not run away and have the thug feel that he/she can do it over and over with NO disciplinary action whatsoever. My Wife is going to take "The Deal", against my wishes.

 There must be someone who understands the law of the land that can give me legal recourse in the above matter. ACLU? Counter file a Private Civil Suit "in excess of $50,000 of course" against Ms. King, Mr. Kramer, Mr. Bell, and the rest of the UD Administration for harassment, failing to protect my child, not adhering to President Bush's No Child Left Behind Act? Or just hope that Judge Cullen sees the light and dismisses the case based on the fact that the charges are in fact to me a sure fire way of covering tthe School District's asses from any civil law suits that may have or already been brought by myself or other parents that are disgusted with the "Babysitting" "Gerrymandering" and "Racist" policy of UDHS?

  Anyway... I'll let you all know what happens on 3/20/2007.

Cheers.

9 comments:

  1. Fran,
    If there is anything, and I mean anything I can do, let me know.
    Hang in.
    Bob R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, Fran. My brother was an Asst. principal there for years. I've forwarded the post and asked for advice.

    (Side note: as someone who used to get the s**t kicked out of him in grade school, I decided enough was enough when I got to HS. Several people made some seriously bad decisions trying to pick on me, so I kinda know what you're going through now)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is totally bizarre that the Asst. Principal has filed a personal complaint on behalf of the school 5 months after the fact. Have you asked them why this is happening, and if so, what was the response?

    Perhaps it would be a good idea to get in touch with a lawyer (some would take the case pro bono) or write a letter to the Delco Times or Delco section of the Inky. Doing so would expose the insanity to a wider audience and perhaps embarrass UDHS into taking a more reasonable approach to the problem.

    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a lawyer but I have a hunch this school administrator in question has left themselves wide open for litigation regarding your son's situation, sespecially if there is video evidence to support your stated position. Expcet the video evidence to mysteriously disapear if this proceeds to court.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will not be admitted in court, as my wife was already told the cameras didn't get any of the incidents on it, although where it happened there is a camera pointing in the general vicinity.
    This complaint is against my Son and c.c. to my wife. I am reluctant to attend, based on the fact that I probably will see an injustice done to my Son by being found guilty, and then myself being locked up for telling them what a farce the whole thing is, that it's nothing more than the School District using their muscle to push around parents, and the court siding with them.

    There is no justice in Upper Darby, only cronyism. I intend to file a lawsuit against them, but first I have been contacting other parents with similar stories. (I have five so far.)

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms.King called yesterday and told my wife that the "complaints" were dropped. My attorney as asked me to stop posting any further posts concerning this issue. I will say that having another child entering UDHS next year, I am quite wary of the School's commitment to protecting him and others. You see, UDHS has known gang members attending. They do NOTHING to these thugs, out of FEAR of reprisal in the form of litigation.

    That is why other concerned parents and myself are actively pursuing legal channels to stop this injustice.

    I've said enough.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get a good lawyer, Fran, and I hope you sue the hell out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really late reply, but thanks Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this was 2007 but .... im now in a similar position with my son . he was sucker punched after school one day by a kid that wanted to fight my son daily . Well after he sucker punched him my son hit him back . they both got suspended for 5 days and the boy was taken out of my sons class .this all took place in nov or dec 2007 . here we are in march 08 and i got papers to appear in court ... same thing 300 bucks or 100 and 2 classes . I called a lawyer and he told me just take the 100 bucks or you will spend more in attorney fees ...... the money is NOT the point this high school is getting old !! and im really sick of all the kids going there that dont belong !!!!!
    what did you ever find out?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.