6/13/2004

Response to my original post

Date: Sun, 13 June 2004 05:00:53 -0700 From: "Coopertowner" To: frannyward@yahoo.com Subject: [I live in Delaware County] 6/13/2004 08:00:52 AM I would like to see other communities start their own blogs. It's fast and cheap. I won't say it's easy because I am not one of the Blog Team and I know they work very hard, but I think they'd agree it's worth it! With so little meaningful press coverage, and with the cost of direct mail so prohibitive and people so unlikely to read it anyway, blogging is a good, cheap, reliable way to spread the word about what's going on in your local government, and to hold accountable those who need to be held accountable. Don't let them tell you it's wrong to post things anonymously! The people who are out there spending our money wrongly hate this, and that's their first attack, that we are wrong for blogging anonymously. But remember the Boston Tea Party, caused by excessive taxation, and the anonymous pamphleteering of the Revolutionary period. It's part of the great American tradition of free speech and our exercise of our First Amendment rights, and more people should do it, not fewer! As Justice Stevens wrote in an anonymous political speech case just a few years ago, "under our Constitution, anonymous pamphleteering is not a pernicious, fraudulent practice, but an honorable tradition of advocacy and of dissent. Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority." Posted by Coopertowner to I live in Delaware County at 6/13/2004 08:00:52 AM I also agree with Cooper. The government at all levels should be held accountable and answer to their constituents...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.