10/01/2004

Scleroderma

I was at Thomas's last night after going on a trouble call (Friend who thinks he's an electrician totally messed up his 3 way switch circuits) and was chatting with a guy who's name is Jim. I've seen him in there before, usually looking bummed out about something. So I ask him, everything ok? He looks at me and tells me that his wife is dying of Scleroderma. He then says "you wouldn't know what I'm taking about". I mention ANA counts & throat streching, and that my wife Liz also has Scleroderma, and that I do understand. We talk about his wife's treatments and that she is at Delaware County Memorial Hospital for about 25 days a month, the others being home. He tells me how they need to amputate her pinkies, and that between the chemo, dialysis, and other treatments, her fragile body is breaking. I can feel for this guy. His children will have no mother, him no wife. All his dreams shattered. For the first time in a while, I think of how lucky my wife is. Her Scleroderma is dormant.(For 5 years now). We asked the same questions. What is Scleroderma? Is it always fatal? Is it contagious? Why is it that 90% of people who get it are women? My mind was racing.. On to the internet I went, searching for answers. I found a "group" on Yahoo that deals with it. The people there were all dealing with it, and my wife & me found comfort in our questions being answered. I also made my own "Group" and web site, trying to raise awareness about Scleroderma. One woman who especially helped us is Amie, the founder of the group. Weather she knew it or not, she comforted both of us in her e mails and phone calls. I hope Jim and his family find comfort. I will be praying for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.