1/05/2006

Nittany Lions Cap Championship Season with 3OT Orange Bowl Victory over Florida State, 26-23

Kevin Kelly and the Nittany Lions proved the adage that the third time's the charm. In the third overtime period of the 72nd FedEx Orange Bowl, Penn State’s defense held Florida State to a field goal attempt, which Gary Cismesia bounced off the right upright and missed. Kevin Kelly – who had chances to win the game at the end of regulation and in the first overtime, ended the five hour contest when he converted a 29-yard field goal on the ensuing series. Meeting for just the third time in their storied histories, Penn State defeated Florida State 26-23 in triple overtime in front of 77,773 at Dolphins Stadium in South Florida. Good for them. Good for Joe Pa. I actually thought this wasn't going to be close but that's why they play the games. I always admired Joe Pa for sticking to his guns and his old-ways mentality of education first, not letting freshman start. Unfortuantely for him that doesn't work anymore. These kids don't go to college to earn a degree, they go to college to learn how to play football. Sure not all of them are like that but most of them are. I'm glad he changed with the times which is allowing him to stick around longer. Those kids need him to help them figure things out and act as a father figure. He's not just a football coach. I do wish colleges would just give up and let them major in football. To me the degrees earned by others are soured by those allowed to drift through due to their skillset being more physical than mental especially considering the schools they get to go to. Just let them major in sports if they want to. I had to decide my future and what I wanted to study let them do the same. Giving many of these kids a piece of paper from a prestigious university is a farse. This is why I will never fully embrace NCAA football.

2 comments:

  1. I'm STILL catching up on all of the sleep I lost between that game and the USC-Texas game!

    The BCS system sucks, but they lucked out this time with a pair of games for the books!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.