2/14/2006

I Believe In Saint Cyril School

Class Of 1975 I went to Saint Cyrils in the Sixties and Seventies. Growing up in the Stonehurst section of Upper Darby, Our parish was St.Carthages on cobbs creek parkway. In the early 60's, St Cyril took over as our new parish. I have both fond and not so fond memories of St. Cyrils, such as Sister Herman Joseph, and Dirk Slater. Anyway, one of the things I did learn was disipline, like you can see that in my blog posts. All in all our School was the best. I remember the May Procession, Father O'Donnell, Mr. Doyle, Miss Hess, Sister Adrian, Mother Superior,The Social Hall, etc, etc. I loved and still love my old school. Now, Saint Cyril of Alexandria is slated to close unless the school comes up with a quarter of a million dollars by March 31st. How I found Out About This How I found out about this was through the Daily Times a few weeks ago. Also, Paul Thomas, owner of Thomas's Cafe, has taken great steps to help out. The young man who started this whole thing is Tommy Geromichalos. Quote about him from St.Cyril's web site below. "Inspired by 12 year old Tommy Geromichalos, and aided by a series of articles in the Delaware County Daily Times, the parish held a meeting Wednesday night, January 25th to start an effort to raise the $200,000 needed by March 31, 2006. Tommy has Cystic Fibrosis and wrote a letter to the Make-A Wish Foundation" So I was thinking at this late hour how to help. Call Oprah? Send out e-mails? Ask Congress to intervene? How about Curt Weldon? All these things would not help. What would help at this point is nothing short of a miracle. And Tommy is asking for one. I think he deserves it... P.S. I believe that if every person who ever went to Saint Cyrils donated five dollars they could easily reach their goal. Do the math. 1000 students per year X 50 years (1955 -2005) X 5 = 250,000. Now I may be wrong about the total number of students to have ever attended St Cyrils, but I failed to mention that I also learned how to dream. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Good press on Fox 29 the oher day!
    Maybe if you threatened to send Jen Fredrick to the Cardinal's residence, he'll change his mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.