12/20/2007

Election was closer than you think

Below is a copy of a letter I sent to local papers. The significance is that I lost by two votes. So is this a typical tactic that we should expect from the R's? Note that these facts can be confirmed by anyone. All Public info.

To the residents of Radnor’s Fifth Ward: I would like to present you with some facts concerning the recent election and a Husband Wife who voted in the 5th Ward.

In the spring, before the Primary, a letter concerning the Act 1 referendum that I had sent to these folks as part of a “Ward-wide” mailing was returned to me as “Undeliverable”. I dutifully noted this fact in my election database. As I was canvassing over the summer and fall I visited the former address of Husband and Wife and confirmed they no longer live at that address, it is now a rental property. This explained why my letter had been returned. I was told by neighbors that they had moved at least two years prior. When I got a copy of the updated voter registration list in the fall, I noted that Husband and Wife were still registered at the old address. This did not surprise me because these lists are notorious for being out dated. However, I was surprised to see that they had voted in the 5th Ward in the Primary. This warranted further investigation.. First I “Googled” their names and found an address in the Fourth Ward. The telephone directories also give the same Fourth Ward address. Next I looked at the County real estate information on line. The Fifth Ward property is indeed owned by Husband and Wife, however the taxpayer information section lists the Fourth Ward address. Lastly, I confirmed they also own and live at the Fourth Ward address cited for Taxpayer information. Did I mention, one of these folks was a Committee person, not mine?

Armed with this information I instructed my Poll Watcher to challenge Husband and Wife if they came to vote in the Fifth Ward in November. Unfortunately, Husband got past my Watcher during a brief break but Wife did not, and was challenged. The Judge of Elections contacted Media and was told that the individual would be permitted to vote if she signed an affidavit stating that she lived at the Fifth Ward address listed on the voter register. After signing the affidavit, she preceded vote.

So what do you think? The lawyers tell me, “The residency argument is very tricky” In my non-lawyer mind, where you sleep and where your wife and family sleep is where you live, not to mention where the County and US Postal Service think you reside. Maybe this election was even closer than you thought.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it's too late, but I would have had an inquiry into this. with those touch screen voting machines, anything can be skewed..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me ask you Johnn, will you be voting for Joe Sestak next year? Same thing; he doesn't live here. That is why he hasn't done a darn thing about the FAA - he can't hear the planes in Northern Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous said...
    Let me ask you Johnn, will you be voting for Joe Sestak next year? Same thing; he doesn't live here. That is why he hasn't done a darn thing about the FAA - he can't hear the planes in Northern Virginia.



    Joe Sestak has done more for Delco than Curt "Im a fireman" Weldon had in six months. BTW, Sestak lives in Delaware County, in Newtown Township i think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I miss the connection that "anon" makes. There is no comparison, Joe served our country and was a registered voter here, as do our other service personnel. I am talking about a committee person who has the role of "community representative or organizer". And yep, I sure will be voting for Joe.
    JohnN.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.