5/17/2005

Beware Of Smooth Talkers

I just was informed by my wife that we owe Verizon $237.06 for our business line. I asked her why it was so high, being that it averages $40.00 a month. I found the answer under Non Basic Service Charges, on page 5. It seems that Integretel, a third party billing company, added a charge for $38.10 Federal Tax included for MySiteOnlineIs.COM. I called Integretel, and the woman put me on hold. Then a recording came on. I heard my wife giving out information and basically authorizing the billing. I asked her why would you do this? Our business already has a web page And although I haven't really updated it, it's FREE. She went on to tell me that the man said it was a free trial and he would send her a package in the mail about their product. In my opinion she was duped into giving out information and never authorized anything. Here is the URL to what they provided for 34.95 a month. You have got to be kidding me! What kind of crappy cookie cutter no information site is that? For thirty-four bucks a month? Anyway, I gave my wife their telephone number and asked my wife to call and cancel this, which she did. I then called MySiteOnlineIs myself and kind of let loose on the lady who answered. I was told that we were billed since January, that my wife did authorize it, and that she had just called to cancel. I told the woman that I thought her company had rotten Salespersons, that I thought my wife was conned, and that I wanted a copy of the WHOLE conversation between my wife and the Salesperson for my attorney to hear. She told me that they did not have the whole conversation, only the part about my wife giving authorization. So, the Salesperson and the sales pitch weren't recorded? What a perfect way of making money! Call up a business, throw them a salespitch, record someone (Anyone) who will give authorization whether they have it or not, then tack it on the businesses phone bill. Before the end of our conversation the woman offered me an apology and a promise of two months credit sent to Verizon. On a side note I also did a google search on MySiteOnlineIs and came across this interesting read: What I learned from all of this is that one must pay attention to ANY solitation, and better yet, just hang up on them. I know my wife will think the same thing next time.

2 comments:

  1. There are countless scumbag companies like this that are flourishing from situations like the one you described. I came across a $9.98 billing item coming out of my checking account last month with a 1-888 toll free number listed w/it. I called the number to find out that my wife opted into a "printable coupon offer" from some e-commerce retailer that initially "was free" but then commenced to billing us 90 days out. Think of it, do the math, how many housewives click onto this type of shit and how many never see the little $9.98 charges come out every month? Moral of the story, read the fine print no matter what and don't opt into shit these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This very thing happened to me at work. And I am the one that "authorized" it. This is the biggest rip-off of the century. If it makes you feel better, I had paid it for over a year and a half before I discovered it. They're giving me four months credit, but I'm not done with it. I am going to write them a letter and if they don't refund all my money, I will report them to the Better Business Bureau. Watch out not only for this company, but also for Axcess Internet Solutions (www.theyellowpages.bz) and The Local Yellow Pages (based out of CA--NOT local). I spent this afternoon calling businesses that show on their "listings" page and letting them know they're being scammed by www.theyellowpages.bz. And the story was the same with everyone--total disbelief. And every one of them pays their telephone bills without checking them. Nevermore! This, my friends, is the beginning of the end. I've had it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.