7/05/2005

Live 8 on non-music tv & July 4th

Ok, so Live 8 went off pretty well. Except for one thing. How can an apolitical event, meant to spread the word and drum up support for poverty stricken nations in Africa, become a ratings seeking venture? Why was only MTV allowed to air live performances on TV? And true to the non-music television form they spent most of it interviewing people, talking with each other on 'what a great day this has been', and spewing out commericals!? How could they not let local stations broadcast! This was a charity event to raise awareness afterall wasn't it? Yeah you raised my awareness, my awareness of how much I lament MTV. How do you cut The Who off? Wait, how do you cut off Pink Floyd!?!?! I mean, it's Pink Floyd! Kudos to AOL for having great coverage, allowing AOL users to switch between venues and even posting when performers were up next. Makes me wish I overpay for internet service (wait, I have Comcast, so I guess I do). Jeers to MTV for once again proving music television doesn't broadcast music. And Cheers to Aston Township for another great fireworks display. Last year it was raining shells & embers, an anomoly we enjoyed actually. This year? Well I'm not sure if it was accidentally or done purposely but one firework seemed to go off a bit too close to the ground. I think the effect was a 3D dispersion going up and out; but, it seemed to go off either on the ground or inches from the ground, instead of feet. Either way a good show. It seems this year they added a whole bunch of touches: garbage cans, a DJ, food/drink at the concession stand on the football field. Why go into the city when I can lay down on a blanket and have the fireworks go off directly above me?

1 comment:

  1. I agree about hanging out in your local town (Aston) vs. going downtown to see fireworks. Various communities in Delco all put on a great fireworks display. Sadly, some don't even bother.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.