8/22/2006

The School Property Tax

The following is part of an e-mail from a Drexel Hill resident to me, and my response. My point was that there must be a better way to fund schools, and make them even better, without such a reliance on property taxes. I attended the public school system in Upper Darby, K-12. I know how good it is, how much teachers, administrators and school board members care about what they do. Why not find new and innovative funding sources, rock solid and certain, so that our schools can continue to, and even improve the ultimate product, the children of our community. THE E_MAIL: After writing my previous message to you this afternoon, I continued to shake my head. I wondered to myself, "How could someone be so oblivious to the connection between well-supported school districts and the quality of life in a community? Does this person have no idea that houses represent the biggest financial investment that low-income people will ever make and that, by letting the schools crumble and therefore destroying the attractiveness of the community, he will basically be flushing those peoples' hard-won investments down the toilet?? Does he really want to turn Drexel Hill into another Lansdowne? I think it is wonderful that someone your age wants is serious about political issues, and I really do applaud you for that. You are obviously bright and have a lot of energy. But what in the world makes you think that in 20 years you have gained the life experience to be able to be a state representative? Is it presumptuosness? Arrogance? Plain old ignorance? You simply have no idea of the broader consequences of the positions you are espousing. You couldn't. You just haven't been on the planet long enough. MY RESPONSE: Thank you for your thoughtful comments. One question, if you don't mind. If for over 20 years of Mario's service why have property taxes risen to the point of forcing some of our neighbors from their homes, and what would be the problem with finding other sources to replace them while maintaining and even improving our schools? I must say I find it refreshing to hear from someone who cares enough of our community to speak up. I may only be 20 but I never would have taken an illegal payraise as Mr. Civera did. I would never allow winter utility shutoffs just because of campaign contributions received by Mr. Civera. I would never drive a $650 Caddy at taxpayer expense as Mr. Civera does. I would never fight to keep the actions of our legislature secret as Mr. Civera does. I might not be legally able to drink but I am of age to fight our wars and serve in our legislature. I've been taught that when I see something wrong, do something about it. Don't just sit by and let it happen. So win or lose at least I'm trying to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. I'll end with this; Will your teenagers be better of with the status-quo of Mr. Civera or the reform and vision of the future that puts people first, as I espouse. I went on too long, I apologize, but I believe I'm on the right side and it's thought provoking to discuss the issues with a concerned person like you. I'm OK with your non-support, at least we live in America where when it's over, we shake hands and work together. Sincerely, Casey Roncaglione

2 comments:

  1. nothing will be done as until the taxman starts sending out late notices............

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand the emailers problem with lower taxes.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.