12/11/2006

Killing Christmas

Last night I had the displeasure? of chatting with a woman from Ridley at Thomas' Cafe. She said she was Catholic, and soon our conversation turned to the sex abuse scandal that plagues the Catholic Church. She admitted that it bothered her that no mention of this ever comes up at Mass. I then asked her what she thought of the meaning of the word "Christmas". I saw by the look in her eyes and the way she half smiled what was to come next. She explained to me that when she was a kid (judging from her looks that wasn't that long ago), she believed in Santa Clause and did all the things that her Mom had told her to do on Christmas Eve, like leaving some milk and cookies for Santa. As she got older, she found out (like we all did) that Santa Claus is a crock of baloney. She further stated that she didn't believe in Jesus being born in a manger, etc, etc. I asked her what demon invaded her soul. Before she replied, I answered her question. The reason you don't believe in Christmas is because the mass media has censored it for decades, instead shoving Santa Claus, Presents, Xmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa down our throats while making it "Politically Incorrect" to mention even the word Christmas in most references to the holiday. Anyone reading this knows I am telling the truth. Of course she said I was wrong in my assumptions, and walked to the other side of the bar. To me "Christmas" is celebrating the birth of Jesus. It's about giving, as he gave to us. The fact that other religious groups do not acknowledge this should not allow them to be able to try to ban or change Christmas. But they are doing just this. Just pick up your local newspaper, watch your favourite TV show, even go to a local Wawa where instead of "Merry Christmas" you'll get "Happy Holidays" as you finish paying for your coffee. The list is endless. As I was ready to leave with my wife, I walked over to the young woman, who was chatting it up with her three girlfriends. I had two words to say to her. Merry Christmas.

10 comments:

  1. I agree to a point Mac. My problem is that as a Christian, I am more aware of the fact that the word "Christmas" is being censored by Schools, department stores, advertisements, etc. Even on Christmas Day, you"ll hear "Happy Holidays". It's Christmas Day. On Channel Six for instance, you"ll have a spot where the people at "Channel Six" will wish everyone Happy Hanukkah, or Happy Kwanzaa to it's viewers while refusing to do the same by saying "Merry Christmas"? I could go on, but I won't. I'm just pointing out facts.

    Cheers.

    P.S. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a "Merry Christmas" as you point out is from me to you in the sprit of the holidays. Every year I wish my Brother In law a "Happy Hanukkah" and he replies wishing me a "Merry Christmas". I have no problem with that. You said: " What's 'censoring' to you is an attempt to include everyone in the holiday season to me." I think your missing my point. My point is that the Word "Christmas" is being censored while "Hanukkah", "Eid" (whatever that is), and Kwanzaa are allowed, even encouraged.

    You not being a Christian may be why you don't see it the way I do. Hell, I ain't even a so called "Good" Christian and look upon Christmas as a time of stress in having to supposedly please others by buying them gifts that I cannot afford. My kids want things totalling about 3 thousand dollars!
    So I'll leave you with this:

    Happy Holidays :)

    Oh, and..

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't say "Happy Holidays". I never did; I never will.

    I am Christian and I celebrate Christmas. If someone wants to let me know they're Jewish and celebrate Hanukkah, I certainly wish them a happy one.

    I worked for a Jewish woman and always wished her a blessed & happy Hanukkah and she in turned wished me a blessed and merry Christmas.

    I'm changing the way I've been for all these years beause the rest of the world is too friggin hell bent on being PC and so easily offended. For crying out loud, get over it!

    MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's what I'm talking about!
    The War On Christmas!"

    "Bartholemew Nelson" is the registrant of this site. But it's... OKAY, right? What kind of person would name their kid 'Bartholemew' in the first place? Just goes to show you the HATE that NON Christians have for Christmas and Christians while exploiting our religious festival!

    P.S. Bartholemew? Your web site SUCKS! I hope that SANTA brings you loads of shit. Coal you may be able to sell.. But SHIT?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Franny, check out the post on my blog under the Idiot Test!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trek, I couldn't agree more.. I am beginning to feel like an outcast in my own land.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a few things...one You can say Merry Christmas or Happy Festivis for all I care. The fact that this upsets you I find kinda funny. While you are at Wawa, pick up some tissues for you Christmas tears. Secondly, if there is a War on Christmas how is it that December 25th is the only relgious day that is a National Holiday? And lastly the name Bartholomew, he was one of the disciples to whom Jesus appeared at the Sea of Tiberias after His resurrection. He was also a witness of the Ascension. P.S. I am a catholic, people who refer to themselves as christians are lame

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off 'anonymous', learn how to spell. Secondly, you call yourself a 'Catholic'? Pleeze, get over it. Your obviously a troll who just left a pub somewhere and has issues with your past.

    Merry Christmas.

    P.S.

    I blogged about this issue over a year ago.

    READ ON..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which word did I mis-spell? And I must say, you are outstanding at the lost art of debate. Make sure you head to mass and pray for all the lost souls. Merry Christmas, Brian C.

    P.S. Don't be such a Douche in '07 should be your resolution this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Merry Christmas everyone! HO, HO, HO. Praise Jesus! Merry, Merry, MERRY Christmas. I'm not a Christian either, and I do not believe the Nativity story in the least. However, if it makes some folks happy to hear Merry CHRISTmas, then I'll say it - MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! And I happen to hear and see the word "Christmas" plenty - starting around August of each year. And we live in a country where it is difficult, if not impossible, for a non-Christian or especially an unbeliever to hold any sort of significant political office. So Christians any anything but an endangered species in this country, or in this county. So, they need to stop pretending they are victims. But anyway - hey, have a VERY merry, merry, merry Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas. Hopefully this will make up a little for those times you had to endure the insult of some cashier wishing you a mere happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.