5/14/2007

Katie Leonard For School Board

She reminds me of my fellow blogger Casey Roncaglione in that She's young, and more importantly, involved with our local government, more than I can say for most of the people I know, including my self. Read on and consider voting for her tomorrow. I know I am. About me: I am running to serve our school board and would appreciate your support. I have lived nearly my entire life in Drexel Hill and had the privilege of attending Garrettford, Drexel Hill, and Upper Darby before graduating in 2001. Since then, I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh and am now attending Temple Law School and West Chester University, where I am working towards teaching certification in English and social studies. While I take immense pride in the education and opportunities Upper Darby schools presented me with, many people have become increasingly critical of the system. It is for that reason I am seeking your vote this primary season. I get frustrated hearing people make negative generalizations about the very schools I attended not too long ago. Of course our schools have some problems. But every district has its own set of problems. The answer is not simply to complain; rather we must effectuate change to move our community together in a better direction. This is where I see the school board playing an important role. Some of the goals I suggest we work towards include: retaining our experienced teachers; adapting our classrooms to fit with the changing cultures of our area; acknowledging social conditions and promoting positive behaviors; increasing student involvement and pride in our community; and continuing to make sure that only lawfully enrolled students are attending our schools. For more information on these and other important issues, please, refer to my campaign site . I hope you will support me in this upcoming election. And, please, remember that in an off-year election many people do not vote - particularly in the primary - so make sure to have your voice heard and vote on Tuesday, May 15. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. Thank you. Katie Leonard

3 comments:

  1. I voted for you,Now let's hope for some fresh air,on that stale board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a fine young woman and would do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Sorry if this posts multiple times. I tried to leave a comment just a minute ago, and I don't think it accepted.

    I just wanted to thank everyone for their support a few weeks ago in helping me get through the primary. It's been an interesting and very exciting last few months and I look forward to continuing my campaign into the fall!

    I couldn't have gotten this far without the support of everyone, and I truly appreciate it. I have been involved in campaigns for several years now, and didn't think I would find myself as a candidate quite so soon. But it really has been amazing, and I only have all of you to thank for letting me continue. Hopefully, I will have all of your support in November.

    I grew up in the area, attended our schools, have a sister who still attends Upper Darby and am tired of everyone being so negative. I have and will continue to run a purely positive campaign. We need to fix the problems we may have, but we also need to highlight the great work and abilities of the vast majority of our students.

    If you have any questions/comments/concerns, please, always feel free to contact me at KML629@gmail.com or to check out my websites at www.freewebs.com/katieleonard or www.myspace.com/katieforboard. For those of you 21+, also be on the lookout for a July fundraising party (exact date TBD). I want to make a strong showing and to bring a new face, energy, and passion to the board and our community. To do this, I need to keep my campaign moving and will need all of the help possible.

    Thank you all so much!
    Katie Leonard

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.