8/01/2004

Avalon Pier

No, not the Avalon in New Jersey, this Avalon is in Nags head, North Carolina, the best place in the United States to vacation. My first visit there was in the Summer of '88, while Liz and I were going out for about a year. Her family had been going there since the early 70's and she told me what a wonderful place it was. She was right. After getting over the initial nervousness of crossing the Mason Dixon line for the first time, I felt like I was back in time. The first thing we did was to stop at a 7 Eleven in s. Nags Head, right before you go into the national seashore drive. When I walked in, the clerk (A young girl) greeted me with: How y'all doing today? May I help you ? I was floored! try getting that greeting at a sev in Philly! Well, needless to say, our week there was great. two people in love alone in a sound front home was heaven to me. I didn't want to return.

Avalon's Pier's live web cam

We made several trips down to Nags Head, the last being last year (2003.) For some pictures, Click Here. Any way, there are three main piers that I have been on in the Outer Banks. One, Jennette's Pier, started feeling the effects of Hurricane Isabel a few days after we left last year. It was totally destroyed. The second, Nags Head Pier, was also extensivly damaged but the buildings and pier remained standing. The third, Avalon Pier, in Kill Devil Hills, was also heavly damaged. In all, these three piers are excellent places to fish from, or just sit on all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your thoughts... Try to keep it clean.